Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Dalmations

Here is my first ever short story besides a book I wrote in 6th grade about a mysterious cave - sadly I do not have a copy of the cave story to publish here. This is what all the down time at beige has lead me to. I am sure that this story could use sprucing and development - and I don't like explaining too much so it jumps around. Writing is hard.

The bitch out back is going to be a problem. For twenty years Arnie had carefully managed to avoid any prolonged relationship with girlfriends, family, or children. He's avoided calling his mother. He's avoided driving anywhere within a five mile radius of his childhood home. You know, family stuff was just not for him. Still somehow he's got another pregnancy on his hands. More babies out back. The dalmations. The fucking dalmations. More puppies will cut into the beer money. How is it that they get pregnant so damned fast anyway? Christ. Now, once again, he is the bad guy. Somehow he and Ben can just never get around to taking care of this stuff. Well, Ben has some kind of minor complex about fixing the pets – cutting into their guts and all that. It's like a big commitment or something, and there's the cost too. Money. God, this is really not going to look good. Again he'll have the hassle of giving away the pups and Ben will want to keep one or two like always. This dog thing is getting out of hand.


Read the whole thing: The Dalmations

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU FB!!! For giving me this amazing story today. Now, can you please write a whole book of 'em? How many more months at beige?? Get to it.
Really, such a beautiful story. I love the conference name in Vegas and the crystal-clutching scene. As I said many times before--you do have such a great voice.

fairy butler said...

hi peeds! thank YOU for reading it. as you can see many parts of the story are familiar themes with me - sweat pants, the dogs, positive thinking. fun stuff. i hope the story was not too depressing and sort of funny. i don't know. i have to think of my next one. i might try to do some plot something something...

fairy butler said...

actually i was thinking of writing a story between two artists over dinner. maybe that is boring.

Anonymous said...

This is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY GREAT!!! FB. I COMPLETELY LOVE IT. I read without stopping and I like how you write like they talk. I want a whole book of these too.

Anonymous said...

It was funny, FB, but also serious. That combo that you have too. I was laughiing at the sweat pants--just sad they weren't lavender.

Anonymous said...

I love you hams, by the way.

Anonymous said...

FB!!!! This is a TERRIFIC story, it pulled me right in. The voices are so clear and real and compelling... Yes please MORE!

Anonymous said...

Holy SHIZ FB. That story rocks. I even got a little teary.

Impressive work.

fairy butler said...

Hey, thanks for reading it!! And your nice comments I appreciate. I am glad that at least it was readable and not too all over. It is hard to write in the present and describe events. Tricky biz. I have to think of something else to get started on now. Once again it is dullville here.

fairy butler said...

Please do not think I am totally dork-o with the copyright blah blah blah at the end of the story. I don't know - it felt weird/scary to put it on the web without any names. someone could take it maybe. but when I read it then i feel embarrassed by the copyright 2007 stupidity at the end. nards.

Anonymous said...

Phantastic!

Anonymous said...

FB, you should put your name and copyright on it...trust me, i see so much crap like that in publishing. Takers! Please write more.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_id=sAO1nadsrgQ&eurl=http%3A//www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dklaxons&iurl=http%3A//img.youtube.com/vi/sAO1nadsrgQ/2.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskJ6-CA1r9h1Gf13FPXB3Z-W

Anonymous said...

Super-excellent story. I'm with Peedz on the crystal scene. It's a nice twist to a character who we think we know. Very realistic.
Please write more!

Anonymous said...

wow. loved it, fb.