Tuesday, August 22, 2006

marfa, texas

arthur and I are back from the most excellent wedding. our friends have a house (actually 2) down in marfa and go back and forth from NYC. I see why now. Marfa is fucking awesome. maybe i'm not the biggest donald judd fan but whatever. everything about this quaint lil town is perfect. we met a ton of locals through our friends and everyone was so fun, open and interesting - tons of artists, tons of awesome homes and yards and dogs. a few nice restaurants, coffee shops, a cool hotel, it's great. and the sky. oh my god. day or night. friday night an astronomer friend of the wedding group gave a talk to whomever was interested and arthur and I totally geeked out. Probably close to an hour later we were still standing there asking questions as everyone else wandered off. Anyway... here's some photos mostly taken by arthur. (ps. sorry to be the ghost blogger. i have had some craps to take care of, beige work and plans to visit the mama fb and then catching up with some other folks and what not and have not had a sec to participate fully - but i will see you all hopefully wed. and maybe tuesday the beige will be a little less busy for me....)

IMG_1495

IMG_1486

IMG_1444

IMG_1501

there are a few more if you click through.

17 comments:

dubz said...

wow, great photos fb! i like marfa too. mr. dubz and i thought about moving there, but the fact that it's 3 1/2 hours from the nearest airport changed our minds. i love texas.

Anonymous said...

WOW FB, that place looks great.

Texas scares me a little but thats because I don't know jack about it.

I'm going to Austin next spring I think for SXSW Interactive. I am geekdorknerd.

fairy butler said...

marfa and austin are, from what I understand, different from the rest of texas (in a good way). Wow Dubz, you guys seriously considered making a go of it out there? I must admit being there for a couple of days i was smitten but right now the small town/isolation thing is too much for me. Although it appeals to me in some ways. Marfa has such great energy and is so nature-ful. The wedding was at this artist's house out there and the place was incredible. I had to take many timeouts & could not even approach her studio building because I was break out in raging jealous hives.

fairy butler said...

oh jeez. why so many typos always? excuse me por favor.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! What beauty. I will move anywhere where there is a mariachi band. These photos are great, FB.

sloth said...

BEAUTEEFUL pix, FB. What a photogenic place. That color! No wonder it attracts autists.

Maybe too beautiful to live there? Some peeps need the irritation of the city to produce those hard little relic-pearls.

Sorry, I'm talking outta my ass. I'll stop now.

Anonymous said...

go arthur..nice shots! I likey. Glad you kiddies had fun. It is nice to have a place of normalicy to escape to, but for me the commute to that place has to be easy enough to not negate the whole experience. That said, who wants to move to woodstock? :p This article in the NYT Mag was kinda cool. Yeah, yeah, surfer doods and outsider art, whatevs..but I kinda like the way he makes it work with what he has and doesn't need to sacrifice the things that make him happy or feel like he needs a pile of cash.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/
magazine/20style.html

dubz said...

i'd just like to live somewhere where going to the grocery store does not entail indescribable odors, getting rammed in the shins by families of evil mutants and having to pay 25 cents for a cart. this is my dream. this is my vision.

dubz said...

oh, and i love biscuits and grits. also part of my vision.

Anonymous said...

whoah dubs..do you live on 39th st and 8th ave?

Anonymous said...

25 cents for a cart? what? the mutants are everywhere but a cart fee I have a hard time with.

toods, upstate ny really exerts a pull on me i must admit. i almost don't want to read that article.

Anonymous said...

subject change: we were having a mind meld at lunch today about snakes on a plane variations. like:

skunks on a submarine
lions on a bus
clams on a segway
Frogs! (real movie)
cheetahs in a bunker
parrots on a bike

etc. sorry.

dubz said...

ha! we did the same thing last night chez dubz. we also said stuff like, "it's motherf*king hot in this motherf*king loft," etc. fun stuff.

btw, i saw the movie and loved it.

dubz said...

hippos in the mirror
squids on the L train
man 'o war on a moped

Corny said...

clams on a segway. Thank you for that.
God these pics are mind blowing! I can't wait to go there, I want to go this year.

Anonymous said...

piss on the F train. hmmm, not so far-fetched, huh?

sloth said...

Slugs on a Golf Cart

Worms on a Zeppelin

Sloths on a Big Wheel <--now available in Super-8