Tuesday, May 23, 2006

highlights from the fields

meeting a gentleman screamer, having dinner with said screamer. screamer likes to talk politics ad nauseum. screamer is dating a relative of arthur's. screamer cannot 'read the room'.

one night an old friend comes out to meet for drinks. this friend has probs, has had probs, more or less for years. he was recently hit by a car on his bike which is awful (does not drive i guess due to DUIs)?. but... he arrives at bar somewhat wasted and proceeds down a scary path (shots and beers) while telling me how he has so much to live for repeatedly. pretty much in those words. arthur left me stranded listening to the yikes world inside my old friend's head. i do not know what to say. vicodin, double antidepressants and booze. ok, what is the deal here. he tells me he is now good friends with my friend from long ago who went very very cuckoo - horrible story. all i can think is that they must make a really great pair. super depressing.

visit to grandma in nursing home. i can't decide if the above episode was worse. i think it was. grandma has alzheimers and began yelling at my mom that she wanted her own house. another woman muttered 'please help me' repeatedly and when I asked how i could help, oh you know. it was all un-special. she later muttered to me "you think you're so cute you should be ashamed" etc.

i apologize that this is not entertaining.

other grandma showed arthur a swedish and a korean bible and showed us multiple print outs of forwarded emails (anti-immigration, dear pres. bush crap) it was fun. we got to hear, again, about the olden times. abe simpsonesqe. she's a sweetie though.

the wedding was good. i tried to keep it together and be a good girl.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

emm. sheesh. Let us learn valuable lessons from the mistakes of others and be thankful for what we have.

fairy butler said...

yes, rule number one is don't get old and feeble.

rule number two is don't be crazy and don't be an addict.

fairy butler said...

i guess that is three rules.

i did get to see another old friend who i adore and is 7 months pregnant. so all was not sadness. it was great to get back to the hood though, stinks and all.

sloth said...

FB, welcome home fb. Missed you sorely! Thank you for the highlights on your roots.

You are good to spend time with fam & the elderly/infirm & troubled old friends. Other Grandma sounds like a hoot. Did you eat Swedish Fish? Swedish Fish teeth are almost as good as Skittle teeth, in one sloth's opinion.

Visiting home is always a little bit like interplanetary travel, don't you think?

fairy butler said...

hi sloth! we ate lemon tea bread and chocolate tea bread. grandma makes it with pudding and cake mix. iowa does = interplanetary travel and it takes me a moment to rearrange my neural nets upon returning. who am i again? i forget.

how was your fam-damily reconstruction junction?

fairy butler said...

is the shack totally seaside or out in the dunes? the cape is so gorgeous.

sloth said...

Chocolate tea-bread. YUM. Puddin' makes everything betta... and it takes a Grams to deploy it properly.

Family construction proj was successful on some level, but also deeply stress-inducing, due to brother who doesn't know how to handle frustration.

Shack is on a dune overlooking the ocean, which is nice on one hand but also means a constant (& currently losing) battle with erosion and dampness and battering winter winds.

Anonymous said...

I like your rules FB. When I go visit the mixforts I must hold my tongue as I have many differing viewpoints from mr. mixfort. He's actually cool about it. I am the one who gets apoplectic.

fairy butler said...

the screamer dude is a PhD candidate in history - studying the aftermath of the sixties civil right movement as it relates to Af. ameri. history in the USA. Which is very, very intersting. But he is loud and domineering. But my parents (bush supporters, not the Worst of 'em, still some brain cells) got to be the odd people out as we slammed our administration and policies, etc. etc. It makes me crazy anxious because arthur's family is very liberal and outspoken and I get all nervous. Luckily my dad mostly kept his mouth shut.

fairy butler said...

that didn't make much sense, sorry. my parents and arthurs are present with us and the screamer. my parents are probably disagreeing with much of what is said and disagreeing with me and it makes me very uncomfortable. why so hard?

Anonymous said...

heh. I'm all ears for bush supporters. They don't have much they can really say in defense of the morass we are in. They usually say it comes down to one or 2 issues for them. My dad..long time conservative, quiet when the bush slamming starts, caved in last xmas and admitted that bush was fucking stuff up. He, like most of us argues that there are no good alternatives though/

Anonymous said...

FB? I'm having the anxieties just thinking about conversations with my fams. gnar. some people in my fams still believe in the "family values" ticket. these people are planning on home schooling their kids.

I want to go live in a cave so that I don't have to think about it or pretend like I am supportive. (I've already argued against. . .it's like talking to bricks or crazy people.)

Anonymous said...

FB!!! You are back! I am overjoyed. You just don't know! I am screaming in your comment box! Exclamation staion.

fairy butler said...

pd, did you see the post on heart as arena's blog!

heartasarena.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the props and shout-out!!!! I heart you!

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » »

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » » »