Friday, August 10, 2007

Reality

Okay, so I was just reading that Richard Tuttle interview on Artinfo via Ed's blog. What a load of shit. That interview itself is a whole load of 'appearances' - talk about nothing that vaguely appears to be about something. His meaning is completely unclear, muddled, egotistical. The thing is I can sort of guess what he means to say - that art is more'real' when it is direct, less-mediated and can communicate in a way that takes the viewer to a state of elevated experience - truth is involved. but all these words and descriptions end up sounding not only pretentious but sort of bogus too. UGH. i have been trying to unravel what this real and not-real stuff is and honestly you could flip the definitions. Real is getting the coffee made in the morning and picking up your dirty clothes, unreal is sewing 100 tiny red beads into the giant flower on a hot air balloon. Who is to judge other people's experiences of the world? How is one thing more truthful or real than the other? And in the end I tend to side with the idea that our lifetimes here on this world, while important, are illusion. We create our own reality every single moment by way of senses and thoughts. It is our responsibility to meditate our own experience the best we can - take responsibility for it - perhaps artists just want to share their personal realities (the good parts). OK. I am talking in circles a bit but that article pissed me off. If RT is really serious about reality he should look into the study of consciousness because it's a little more complex than "i feel like i am getting at the truth" bs.

Sigh.

Arthur and I met up with EP to see the Hold Steady last night at the Prospect Park Bandshell. I was thinking about this reality bs stuff while I watched the show - which was so great. I love that band. It made me think that just sharing what it is you love is enough. Doing the best you can is all you can do. Oh, I am being so weird this morning. Anyway, the night got weirder. We left and took the train(s) home rather than pay 20$ for a cab that we probably wouldn't be able to find.I was wth Arthur, no biggie. We got off the J at Myrtle, a route I take all the time (albeit not so late) and a bunch of punkass cunts (4 16 yr old boys) totally followed us home. They circled on bikes, then disappeared, then came back. I started to notice it when we were on a desolate stretch. Strangely I wasn't afraid, just kind of confused, partially aware. So as we get closer to our house we could feel them closing in. We opened the gate to the house and one guy is just standing there right at the gate. I turned and said "what do you fucking want?" - and arthur, more loudly, "Easy there, guy, easy" the kid says "what did you say to me? - but in a somewhat meek voice to which arthur repeats the easy there. Then we unlock the door and go inside, slamming door. That was it. They took off. BIZARRE. Are they just getting the nerve up to actually rob someone? It wasn't that scary - just odd. I am chalking it up to kids being bored and having bad role models. They didn't really do anything, but it sucks to think about that happening again and me being on my own. I was mostly worried that they would come back and mess with my flower boxes (they are ok this morning though). Last note - arthur went out to move the car after the punk ass 50cent gang intimidation thingy and had to drive around a bit to find a spot. While in the car at a light some other kids asked for a smoke but arthur repeated the story in a way that he read the way they asked him, etc, was completely polite and normal and he said the flipside of the other. So not to get all hating.

Oh, reality. Special times.

12 comments:

dubz said...

whoa. weird night. sorry about those kids... it's weird how punk ass kids can actually posture themselves to be scary. i guess urban kids get attitude and faux self confidence pretty early on. the other day i was walking my dog here on eastern pkwy and some kid yelled "cute dog." i said "thanks" and he said "but you're fucking ugly!"

i've always disliked tuttle. not only is his art boring, but he is the most pompous dick of all time. his ego tells him that pushing little scraps of shit around is meaningful, but he never talks about the infinite combinations or he'd be freaking out about how arbitrary his work is.

g'mornin

Anonymous said...

Hey fb,
There is a movie about your dilemma. It's called 'Reality Bites'. They probably should have called it 'Ethan Hawke is a Tool and Bites', but if you watch it, you get the idea...

Anonymous said...

That sucks so much FB. So much. It worries me that kids would do that.
Maybe I'm missing something with Tuttle. I have a friend who loves his work and I respect her so I try. but I didn't like the drawing center show at all.

I've been on hold for an hour this morning with DHL, so I'm drinking gin. My wedding dress is smoldering in their warehouse for 4 days. And yesterday on hold for an hour. I'm on a rage roll now and just bitched out my former landlord for not sending out security deposit. Does anyone have any injustice you'd like me to take care of?

toodster said...

Reality is best taken in fleeting glimpses and sniffs. Perhaps a lick here and there. I follow my Mom's creedo: Do whatever makes you happy/ feel good. Although she is in the middle of her 3rd divorce and I turned out lazy. :/

Bummed I missed THS, don't let the bored teenagers get you down, soon enough they will be back in school and you can point and laugh.

toodster said...

Speaking of reality, I was reading about Basel and saw this for the 1st time from last year.

Art Basel Miami Beach – Convention Center. The most talked about work of art can be seen at Gavin Brown’s Enterprise – New York – Booth # D1. In the empty booth, suspended by a motor on the ceiling, a packet of Camel cigarettes spins round and round at random! The artist Urs Fischer has called his installation, Nach – Jugendstiel Kam Roccoko, 2006. $160,000.

I wish I could find a video of it. I am having trouble being creative at work and I just thought of a conceptual video I should do that is a split screen; one side is me frustrated smoking pot and checking the same 3 blogs over and over while playing 10 year old video games I don't even enjoy with my studio full of idle equipment in the background. The other side of the screen is my bank statement with the $ in checking winding down to zero, money transferring out of savings into checking and then dwindling down to zero again. I am still unsure of an ending. Ideally it would run in a loop like purgatory.

toodster said...

Ham, my wife sells clothing to retail stores (well used to) and there are several across the states that owe her about $2k each and will not pay. Collections agencies didn't work. I guess people can just steal what they want. Can you hook her up w/ some gin-fueled retribution?

Anonymous said...

I'm on toodster.
IT'S TIME.

Anonymous said...

http://despair.com/viewall.html

You must go to despair.com it says it all.

FB, Tuttle often talks outta his ass.

Anonymous said...

fb, a certain very, very close friend of mine -- so close he's a relative -- heard Tuttle speak in grad school, and describes him as a "whiny, pretentious little man."

Re the neigborhood kids, I think it's the heat... people go a little crazy in August. Hang on, fall's coming...

Anonymous said...

hey FB - that predation is SCARY... who knows what reaction might best work, maybe your act of assertion was the right thing to do, moreso than arthurs request of easy? that is what cesar the dog whisperer would do maybe.

i'm thinking that asking/giving names might be best, asking "what's your name", "do you live around here?", or "hi, i'm fairy" and offering your hand? bring them back to civilization... maybe that's stupid.

tuttle is so hugely inflential... and i like his work... but yeah, egomaniacs who feign humble are the worst. and people in general who discuss the personal in universal terms... can't stand that.

i do like the forthright egomaniacs though.. drawn to that charisma.

did you see that chris maybach documentary on artists? at a point tuttle slips and compares himself to mozart... it seemed like a glimps at the core tuttle.. the one i would probably rather hang around with.

http://anaba.blogspot.com/2006/01/wizardless.html

Anonymous said...

fb I don't like your story about the kidz. Mini B got jumped by kids on Sat in the nice part of J.C. and still hasn't come back to work yet. Not to be scary but it's best to have caution on your side.

Anonymous said...

I am not so sure about the reality thing. I travel in a pack with goblins, aliens, and imaginary goth friends so I don't think I can weigh in on this.