Wednesday, November 16, 2005

the dream manifested itself

several months ago i had a strange dream about an acquaintance from almost ten years ago. i blogged about it (#3 in the list) here.

This woman i worked with was always very sweet and it was really hard to see her become a full-on heroin addict and lose her job and it get kind of ugly and then she disappeared. Anyway... i always wondered what happened to her. had the dream in august. Guess what?! yup. She approached me this afternoon from behind with "hey, i think i know you". She seemed good, looked good, good spirits, definitely no longer a user - or at least not like before. Hair was a little graying but she told me she was still making art and just quit her fulltime job and was working with a place called landmark educaton and asked me to come to this open house tonight etc. I said i would look into it on the web later. whatevs. Told her what i'd been up to and all that jazz. It was REALLY great to see her in good health and she seemed happy to run into me too. But it does freak me out - because of the prescient dream, but that may be just coincidence.

So, I looked up Landmark Education. It's that crazy self-empowerment cult aka "the forum". UGH. This is a seminar that supposedly changes your life in one weekend and 500$ - with group disclosure of past, journaling, emotional purging, that kind of thing but in public with a group of strangers. I have some friends that nagged me about this thing years ago - like 'you are the perfect candidate' etc. (i have tried to not be insulted. they also nagged some of my other friends and we were all like - are we so fucked up seeming? so not together?) So i am sort of saddened to hear that this person is involved with this thing. It does not bode well in my book.

My thoughts on self-empowerment, etc. Their term is transformation. The idea of the forum when you read about it on the website seems fine and dandy. but. transformation and change are things that one has to work on every day, little by little. a blow out weekend of crying and journaling may feel like something but it won't last. god, that sounds cynical, but it just seems like a waste of a weekend. the goal is to keep focused, right, keep the head and the heart open. It's a practice, right? I am jsut suspicious of these kind of "seminars" - a big part of their program (from what I understand from a friend who attended at the urging of the other friends) is that they REALLY encourage you to get other people to attend subsequent seminars. Enough said.
.

15 comments:

Mountain Man said...

I had a friend who got really into it for like a year, it was scary. I felt like I lost her for a while and every time we talked she tried to convince me to go. I almost did until I really researched it and then cancelled. SCARY. Definitely a cult. Even cancelling, they gave me a really hard time. Anyway. Super weird about your dream. Spooky spooks.

fairy butler said...

hi MM! good to hear your call from the ether. i hope you are feeling better. the sicks they come. sorry to hear.

yes, the forum rears its ugly head again. i am bummed out about my encounter now. but maybe it does do some good for some people? i dunno.

Anonymous said...

hey, hey, hey FB and MM, wasssup?
I want to start my own "forum" and make a few bucks. I will tell people what they want to hear for $500 clams...

fairy butler said...

PD!!! Is it the real and true PD? YAY! I would certainly attend your forum, especially if there will be deli-slicing demonstrations.

Anonymous said...

I will begin with how to acheive the perfect slice. It is life's biggest lesson.
So good to be back FB.

Anonymous said...

demonstrations on slicing extra meats?

Anonymous said...

holy spooks FB about your dream! Creeeeeeeeepy.

I am in hate with all those effed up programs. They are like emotional Amway. Plus you are right about the slow process vs. the weekend blowout. It is all about the practicing.

WOW PD!!! HI!!!! You're back! YAY! hammy too, and MM, and scarecrow, and tin man. . .there's no place like. . .okay I gotta stop.

Anonymous said...

I have to make an additional statement about all those self helps cults. I don't like them. They're not for me. HOWEVER, they beat the hell out of dying from a heroin overdose. If that's the kind of thing a person needs to get through life then as long as they're not passing out the kool-aid or putting on the black nikes I guess it's okay.

People who get super fervent about that stuff are still annoying though.

fairy butler said...

indeed, a cult is better than an OD. it just makes me sad that apparently my old friend still isn't seeing clearly, you know?

emotional amway. ha.

my parents tried to sell amway for a little while when i was little. sad. no mary kay though.

Anonymous said...

wouldn't a pink cadillac be so nice? I would put a bubble-ator in the tailpipe.

Anonymous said...

PD, you ARE!

Anonymous said...

I like this flash animation:

http://www.landmarkeducation.com/display_content.jsp?top=22&mid=175&bottom=38181

I like how you can leap out of the blurry mass of unhappy people and bring your life into focus. The only catch is that your left arm gets lopped of up to the elbow.

Anonymous said...

What a great site » »

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Phendimetrazine slimming drug Uk discount mortgage protection insurance Sexy legs spread open big picture Completely free real ringtones 2004 accord honda lx sedan http://www.sexchat4.info/Fuckingpamelaandersonboobs.html Auth louis vuitton monogram shoulder bag purse rare Mp3 player with am fm tuner

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Massachusetts trucking accident lawyer free help with filling out divorce papers ohio divorce law Welsh slate kitchens One ton chevrolet truck part Murder and hockey and father moores marsden divorce ca law dock decorator interior design honda pilot Going through divorce 1938 chevrolet coupe sale auction diecast tractor trailer models women&aposs motorcycle racing jackets