Friday, March 03, 2006

gender and defeat? + mediocrity

i am ruminating on edna's post. so many threads to go down in relation to this that it gets downright confusing to sort them out. do women in the visual arts undermine themselves subconsciously - and undermine eachother? more than men undermine themselves? Is it specific to gender? or is it personality, age, class, arena of upbringing, etc? This is too hard of a topic to broach/articulate fully right now but one thought keeps coming to mind is how the media portrays women in the arts - turning some into models/fashionistas/celebrity that really gets on my nerves. the spin of the press in shaping opinions. and why some and not others? degress of attractiveness or because some women are willing to go there? the media wants to simplify.not that a woman can't be attractive and sexy and kickass talented/honest/smart. fuck. it's hard to sort out.

ok, head hurts. bottom line is try your best i guess. in the end.

i spent last night sorting and editing relics. destroying some. here's a situation i am grappling with. i have a painting that is ok, but there is something about it that bugs me. it's too easy. cheesy. so i have had it turned to the wall in punishment for months and months. so i bought some stretchers and such the other day. it is pricey. the though occured - maybe i should get rid of that painting and reuse the supports. so last night i turn it around and ugh. even though i would not want to show this painting there is still something that i like. grrrr. should i just buck up and get rid of it? does this happen to anyone? what to do with the mediocre paintings?

14 comments:

fairy butler said...

is it ok if i just exist in my lalala art world of my own making? the seas out there are rough stuff. i can't make sense of anything.

sloth said...

FB is is possible to work back into it? I have a painting that is in a similar state, and I keep it around in the hopes that I will have a stroke of genius idea that will turn it around. Unlikely, I know.

fairy butler said...

maybe sloth. maybe. i often do not let myself go down this road - the reworking, because it leads to some kind of desperation drama in me for some reason -but now that I think about it ... you may be onto something. Allrighty then. yes. why not? if i am going to get rid of it anyway... and there are some good parts. Right on.

fairy butler said...

you are a helpful, friendly sloth. me thanky.

sloth said...

likewise, FB. I am sending you an interwebs gladhand.

ME said...

If I was a female artist trying to make it in the New York scene I would go back to my Nebraska home after reading what Edna says about female artist's success in NY.
She sucked me into the no-hope abyss once and Im not going to be sucked in again.

You possess EVERYTHING you need to be the artist you want to be. I spent the night (honestly saying so)thinking about your artistic crisis but dont know if any aid I give will help you because I worry that you believe that you dont have what you need.

Anonymous said...

Dear FB, definitely work back into. And if that doesn't work, I say destroy, better to have usable stretchers than a painting that pains you in the leg. That's what I do anyway. Good luck today!

Corny said...

Fb, I say radical intervention into medicore painting, maybe really fuck it up to take it on a new course. I can't keep mediocare paintings around, storage is a bummer and theres always a feeling of unfinished business.
Other option is to give it to a relative as a present.

About yesterdays post. You proly know these bands but if you dig american bands that sound british check out Robbers on High Street and The Blood Arm. The Blood Arm is aces.
I'm into seeing The Rakes at BB (have you heard them, they rule the school, total balls out, garage/punk you can dance to) I'll get a ticket for the wednesday Art brut show too.

Anonymous said...

FB, my sympathies for your painting. I have kept many mediocre stuffs in my studio. I am finally putting them into boxes. (I can't throw away for a few years) They were making me feel frustrated with myself. Especially because sculpture takes so long... there was so much commitment to the thing at the time due to the process. It could be freeing to tear into it again but take a few pictures before so you don't forget the things you love about it.
As far as the women issue, I am the hammy enemy too. I never connected it to being a woman. I chocked it up to being mental.

Anonymous said...

Off topic. I'm so sorry to be invading the serious forum, but FB, Perv is wearing cowboy boots with heels, and the Glassy-Eyed One is wearing a short that is a little too short, giving me glimpses of pasty stomach.

OK, bye.

sloth said...

fb, i snagged tix to Art Brut for wed... thanx for the insp & see you there of course!

fairy butler said...

yay sloth!

Anonymous said...

patience

in 5 years you may consider this your best painting


or keep it around for a painting to work on that you aren't afraid of wrecking

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » »